Do you want to try painting on quilts without the brush ever touching the quilt? This clever technique will jump start your imagination and have you exploring possibilities without fearing mistakes. Be inspired to paint fabric, fussy cut images, and appliqué. Artists and traditional quilters will enjoy creating a painted wall hanging and exploring mixed media.
We will create quilt tops with painted appliqué. You will paint free-form paisley shapes, plaids, and flowers. There will be stencils available if you want to paint more images.
One day class: Paint appliqué designs, arrange and glue baste painted designs, begin stitching appliqué.
Two day class: Includes the above, finishing the quilt top, and machine quilting instruction.
1. One yard of muslin
2. ½ yard for quilt top (background)
3. ½ yard of backing and batting
4. Two yards of freezer paper
5. Acrylic paint (Jacquard fabric paint and/or craft acrylic)
6. Variety of craft acrylic paint brushes: nylon craft #6 round, 7. #2 fan, 5/8 wash or flat, 3/8 angle (more brushes, if you like!)
8. Fabric and paper scissors
9. Paper and pencil
10. Plastic plate
11. Paper towels and facecloths
12. Sewing machine (including appliqué foot) & thread
13. Basting glue (Fabric-Tac permanent adhesive by Beacon or your favorite brand)
14. Ironing surface